A Good Man Goes to War – QUESTIONS!!!!!
Right, I am blinking buggery bloody confused after tonights episode!!!!!!!!!!! And I have to wait AGES to get answers!!!!! However, please feel more than free to join in my confusion and offer answers to my questions below: (spoilers if you haven’t seen the ep!!!!)
1) What does the Gallifreyan language on the Doctor’s crib say? That’s how River told the doctor who she was, by getting him to read what was inscribed on his crib, presumably when he was a baby. NOW, Amy can’t read gallifreyan (poor lass,) so River says, okay, well read this instead – a bit of cross stitch done by that dead girl over there. She was trying to write “Melody Pond” in her own language, but because her language and ours don’t match up very well, it actually came out as “River Song.” Are we therefore to believe that Rivers whole name has come out of a translation error? Why not just stay as Melody Pond? Why stick with River Song? And like I say, that explains the cross stitched hankie, but how does the doctor get it after reading the bit on his crib? What does that say? “I am Amy’s baby!!!!” It doesn’t make sense!!! Please tell me someone else thinks this? Either it is a glaring continuity error, or a clue to something we’re yet to find out. I personally hope it is a clue – River just being Melody is not a very good pay off for the years wondering who the hell she is in my opinion.
2) Why does Madame Kovarian et al want the Doctor dead? What is their beef with him? Why are they engaged in a war with him??? I get it, he’s a bit of a scamp, running about here and there fiddling with things, but really, they’ve got a HUGE chip on their shoulder and they all seem to be possessed by some kind of bloodlust, desperately wanting him dead. They REALLY hate him. I don’t get why – are we meant to know or will we find out? I could have done with some more hints about this. I mean surely they knoew that he has saved the universe (that they live in!) a bunch of times, even if his morals are sometimes ethically dubious.
3) The Doctor met clerics in the angels two parter last year – they didn’t hate him – they weren’t even sure who he was!!!! Why are they so desperate to kill him now?
4) Who is Madame Kovarian? I mean really?
5) Who is the girl from the opening two parter? Melody/River? If so then how come River seemed just as flummuxed by her when she was in the episodes? Surely if that little girl IS Melody IS River then River would remember exactly what had happened and wouldn’t be scanning the space suit left right and centre postulating about who or what the little girl was. She’d know it was her? Or was she just lying? Seems like a lot of effort. Something still doesn’t add up here.
6) What the hell does ALL of this have to do with the Silence??????? We know they’re like the main big bads – all that Silence Will Fall stuff, it was foreshadowing something a lot bigger than the opening two parter – proof being that Amy saw a Silence on the cliff by the lake just before the doctor was killed. They’re involved in this whole mess somehow.
7) What does this all have to do with the TARDIS exploding???? Were the Silence behind that? Or Madame Kovarian and her army of crazies? Or are they all in cahoots?
I’m sure I have more questions, but right now my brain is frazzled. Don’t get me wrong, it was a belter of an episode, had me in tears in parts. But it really was confusing, and I’m worried that Moffat is digging himself a hole that even he can’t really get out of. All these plot twists and revelations mean that there has to be some kind of pay off. And it has to be good. For me, personally, River turning out to be Melody just wasn’t pay off enough. It was gripping, sure, but I realised when the revelation finally came, a part of me inside was going “oh noooo!” in a disappointed way. I sort of saw it coming, and would have prefered something completely unknown. Still, we’ll see. Like I say, I’m not sure exactly what happened by that crib.
Oh, two more:
1) or 8) IF River is Melody, then is River a Timelord? Or like a part time lord??
2) or 9) Where did the doctor go off to at the end? Why did he just suddenly run off with a big grin on his face? Didn’t he listen to the (frankly deserved) dressing down River gave him a few moments before? Why is he just acting like everything’s fine? And why is he leaving Amy????